Posted on January 23, 2020 in Arm Lift
One part of the body that can be a source of insecurity is the upper arm area. Aging or weight fluctuations can cause sagging skin often shows up here, first. An arm lift procedure can assist in tightening loose skin and correcting the effects of weight fluctuation and aging.
What Is An Arm Lift?
An arm lift, medically known as brachioplasty, is a procedure that removes excess skin and fat from the upper arms. There are numerous methods used depending upon a patient’s individual body and needs.
Often, a combination of liposuction or fat removal and precise surgical skin removal are used to give the best results. Your medical provider will assess your body and needs to decide which method to use.
Why Do People Get Arm Lifts?
There are two main reasons that people would need to get arm lifts.
1. Losing Significant Weight: When an individual loses a large amount of weight, they are often left with hanging, saggy skin on the arms. The skin may have been stretched to the point that diet and exercise no longer impact your weight-loss progress. This excess skin can be extremely frustrating for patients, and surgical intervention often becomes the best solution.
2. Aging: As we age, our skin naturally begins to produce less collagen and elastin. This causes the skin to sag and take on an aged appearance. This means the skin can not come back to its previous position without surgical intervention.
Benefits Of Arm Lift Surgery
This procedure can help improve your life in a number of ways. Some benefits include:
- Improved self-confidence
- Improved results when working out
- Ability to wear clothing you may not have been able to before
- Scars are well-hidden
Risks With Arm Lift Surgery
Any surgical procedure comes with risks. Some potential risks with this procedure include:
- Blood clots
- Fluid buildup
- Loss of sensation
- Asymmetrical skin afterward
With a highly-trained medical professional and proper aftercare, you can nearly eliminate the potential for complications.
Recovery From Surgery
This procedure will take some recovery time. Some things to know are:
- You may need to take time off from work
- You will have lifting restrictions
- You will have exercise restrictions
- You may have a compression garment and drains
You can discuss a treatment and recovery plan with your medical provider. Make sure you ask any questions you have and follow their advice for safety and faster healing time.
If you are in the Bloomfield Hills, MI area, reach out to Dr. Ellen A. Janetzke and her staff to schedule a consultation or learn more today.
READY FOR YOUR CONSULTATION?
The first step to any cosmetic procedure is a through consultation with a qualified and trusted professional. Schedule your consultation by filling out the form below or calling our Bloomfield Hills office.