Posted on July 18, 2013 in Breast Enhancement
Here in the United States, breast augmentation is the most popular cosmetic procedure. All it takes is a quick glance at celebrity news feed or a beauty magazine and all of a sudden, you are flooded with the latest updates in who has implants or some new myth about the surgery. It’s time to forget about which celebrity has gotten a boob job for a couple minutes and address the facts that every woman needs to know.
- First of all, let me get this out of the way. I cannot begin to count how many times I’ve heard someone say something along the lines of “Oh, those may look good now, but they are going to just end up sagging.” FALSE. One of the biggest myths behind breast augmentation is that getting implants will cause excess sagging in the future. Actually, the implants are much more resistant to sagging than your own natural breast tissue! If you didn’t have much breast tissue to start, you will never have to worry about sagging even with implants!
- Another common misconception is that implants will cause stretchmarks like those that occur from pregnancy. Stretchmarks are actually very uncommon and shouldn’t be a concern with breast augmentation. The only time that you may need to take precaution is if you are planning to go for one of the larger sized implants.
- Something that has come up recently is that people have been claiming that breast implants will increase your risk of contracting breast cancer. This is false. Getting implants will not in any way make you more susceptible to breast cancer. It is however important that you inform your doctor of any family history with breast cancer so that he or she can develop a treatment better suited to your own personal needs.
- Contrary to popular belief, breast implants do not directly interfere with mammograms. A few more x-rays may simply be needed to see the tissue behind the implant.
- Last but not least, I just wanted to emphasize that silicone and saline implants are quite different. Aside from the clear difference in material composure, silicone implants have the reputation of providing patients with a more natural look and feel while saline implant provide a rounder, more perky appearance. Also, with the new FDA approval for the new silicone gel MemoryShape implants, silicone is expected to gain even more popularity over the less expensive saline alternative.
Considering implants for yourself?
If you have been considering a breast augmentation but would like more facts before pursuing one, it is always important to speak with a board-certified cosmetic surgeon like Dr. Ellen who can provide you with the information and expertise you are looking for in a doctor. Dr. Ellen also has a focus on cosmetic surgery of the breast, making her your perfect partner in pursuing the procedure. If you would like to find out more and schedule a consultation, please don’t hesitate to contact us! We would love to begin working with you!
READY FOR YOUR CONSULTATION?
The first step to any cosmetic procedure is a through consultation with a qualified and trusted professional. Schedule your consultation by filling out the form below or calling our Bloomfield Hills office.